Friday, April 08, 2011

Is Neil Oliver really an arse?

Neil Oliver, not altogether happy with his chicken nuggets. The question is who is currently the biggest irritant in Scotland? Neil or Ian Gray or even the perpetually howling, spitting firebrand that is Alex Salmond. The truth is that I'm just jealous of Neil's luxuriant hair, Ian's status as a world traveler and Alex's ability to pick a winner at the gee gees.

Try as I might I cannot stand to watch this hairy historian guy on BBC2, Mr Neil Oliver you are too much. His enthusiasm and enunciation and the irritating use of grand visuals and evocative but irrelevant locations have almost killed my love of history (yes I like old, exaggerated stories and fictional facts made up by people who should know better). What is it a) about Scots presenters on TV and b) the Scots like me who are irritated by their own kind?
Since January and thanks to an inspiration moment watching Alex James (ex Blur) discussing the power of dairy products to remove body fat (in a basic way) I’ve lost a stone. I’m happy with that but I do wonder where that 8% of me has gone. Presumably much of it down the drain as waste, some as sweat or other fluid, some ingested somewhere (defying my understanding of physics), some just staying still and wearing away other weaker parts (?), some sticking to my clothes and ending up in the tumble dryer filter, some burned away as energy as I avoid lifts, escalators, short cuts and run up stairs or carry supermarket baskets full of juice and washing up tablets around err…supermarkets.
M&S smoothie - vanilla bean & maple syrup. The package looks healthy, the taste is great but I’m not sure.

14 comments:

  1. Apparently, a lot of women are attracted to the fellow. My females might use him as a sex toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver is, as you say, annoying - but Ian Gray - is that "Professor" Ian Gray? If he's the one I think it is - I cannot bear to watch him...

    I am a Scot like you who is irritated by my own kind?...

    And I need to know about this dairy based weight reduction regime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant MSP & Labour leader IG, he's travelled the world as an Oxfam (or was it Avon)representative you know. Sorry but most media types irritate me these days.

    Alex James has a thing about dairy foods (c/w their fats) removing other fats from your body as those fats are removed or are digested, so eating yoghurt etc. not only does you some good but also takes away other unrelated fats as it passes through. I've lost over a stone in 14 weeks. (I've also cut out chocolate bars, work snacks, biscuits and really cut down on all forms of electric soup), that's it in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki3:35 AM

    You Scottish people should be proud to call him your own, as he has done more to put Scotland on the world map than anyone. His enthusiasm is charming, his knowledge and intelligence is very attractive, and its mostly men that make the derogatory comments about him, a little jealousy there maybe, lol. I wish he was on every night lucky Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, thanks you're so right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh do come on,the mans accent has got broader the more fame (or should i say notoriety) he absorbs,he clearly loves himself more than his viewers and his knowledge,if you call it that,is all given to him in script form by numerous researchers,the man is irritating beyond all possible measure,he is clearly the biggest twat in scotland at the moment,except unfortunately he currently isnt in scotland, HE IS BEING BEAMED INTO MY BLOODY LIVING ROOM...ARGHHHHHHHHH !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And do we really need him telling us all about cleopatra,was she scottish or something lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:24 PM

    I can't hear his voice anymore.....!!! Ends every phrase with that moan!!!! He comes across as a bit thick. I can imagine him being a twat in real life. Holier than though eco-freak.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:40 PM

    He is a nauseating full blown twat, and I have always hated his presence. I also imagine he is a twat in real life, and wish he would just tone it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neil Oliver's History of Scotland was brilliant- therefore, so disappointing that he is so completely lacking in vision to look forwards to how Scotland could achieve so much more,if it were not for Scotland's more progressive politics being continually obstructed and undermined by Tory Westminster politics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aye, I quite agree (thought things have fairly moved on since I wrote this in 2011). I just don't watch him at all on TV albeit I love Scottish history and I'm now firmly lodged in the Indy Camp, I've no idea where he, or the rest of the BBC elite choose to sit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed his three part Vikings series. I would rather watch an interesting documentary than the HBO (or was it Showtime?) series called "Vikings." But then, I'm American and I could spend an hour enumerating our plethora of annoying accents. I thought Oliver was informative, intuitive, and charming. Thanks Scotland!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. does my head in. pronunciations especially ie Film he says Filem.
    And any word which etc over emphasizes fist two syllables wh.
    At least he doesnt say eeeeeee or emmmm as most glaswegians use between words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see he's back in the news again for some reason, ugh!

    ReplyDelete